Recently, my BFF and her son--who is 4 and good friends with Easton were going to have a sleep over at our house when Elle was in Waco and her daughter was staying at her grandma's. We have done these sleepovers before but not with the boys--only with the girls, so this was a new thing. Easton and Cooper (or Cooter, is what Easton calls him since he can't say his "p's") get along so well and always behave perfectly when they are together. We have left them with the Dad's many times and they both comment that "they were great". So...when the following happened, we were all TOTALLY shocked!!
My friend and I decided to run to the store to get a few snacks and I told Jason that we would be back shortly. We put on a Diego movie for the boys (they last about 30 minutes) and then we waited a few minutes to see how they would behave. They were fine and we left. (btw...I did not tell Jason that we were walking out the door...)
20 minutes later I receive a phone call from Jason asking where I am...he was really upset. I tell him we are at the store and he tells me abrubtly to "get home"...when I laugh a little and ask why, he tells me that the boys have destroyed Elle's room. "What?!"
Holly and I rush back to the house, hoping that this one time, Jason was being dramatic. Well, he wasn't. The boys had decided to go hunting in Elle's room--and to specifically hunt for American Girl doll horses. They threw them up against the walls multiple times and slammed them together. The horses, three of them, were destroyed--legs were broken off, faces snapped off--destroyed. There were holes in the walls, made by little horse hooves...and one of Elle's wooden chairs were broken. All of this occurred in about 15 minutes with Jason sitting in the other room. He said that he heard them being loud--but they always play sword fight and things like that--so they are always loud...but not like that!
As soon as Easton saw my face, he burst into tears and apologized over and over again. I sent him to get his favorite camo rifle (that he carries around with him everwhere) and I told him we were going to break it. He cried and cried. I asked him if there was any purpose behind breaking Elle's favorite toys, and he said no--and I reiterated that then his favorite toy needed to go as well. He was then sent to his room and told that the sleepover was over. After we got things somewhat cleaned up or at least reorganized...I went in to talk to him and to give him a spanking. I told him that he was going to get a spanking because that is the "ultimate" in our house and this was pretty ultimate. I told him that he was in trouble for the bad choice...but worse than that--I asked him if he knew it was bad when he was throwing the toys and breaking Elle's favorite things. He cried and said yes. Then I asked him what he should have done when he realized things had gotten "out of control". He first said he didn't know--but then changed it and said, "go get Daddy"...I was so proud of him. I told him that we all make bad choices and there will be consequences...but when you know you can't handle it--get help. Just ask for it and we will help you!
I wish I could learn that lesson more often too--ya know? I feel like God has to constantly give me that "ultimate" pretty often because I knew better and got myself in further than I could handle! He is always there in my time of need; just like in Psalms 22:5--They cried out to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed...I am NEVER disappointed!
you so should have taken pictures! i know you were too mad to at the time - but it would have been good to have them when Easton is 18!
ReplyDeleteOh, I have some--I'll load them in a little while!
ReplyDelete