Sunday, February 15, 2009

Easton's appointment

Well, we have another appointment for another issue with Easton in the morning. He has been doing this speech therapy for a few weeks and I have been a little frustrated because speech therapy is not a quick process--but everyone I have spoke with tells me that it will come. BUT...one question that kept coming up was whether or not his hearing had been checked. It had when he was born, and everything appeared fine then--so of course, that was the end of that and he is functional at home--so we did not have any concerns. The issue is this--he drops a lot of the sounds at the beginning and the end of a lot of his words--making it very difficult to understand him. He also does not have the very first sounds that children normally acquire when speaking...he has the next sounds--like he skipped something. I was telling a speech pathologist in my district just briefly about the goals he was working on in speech and she immediately had a weird look on her face--she asked if I had taken him to an audiologist yet--and of course, I said no. When I got home, I called Jason and we discussed it and then I called the Auditory Impairment Specialist for the district, whom I know pretty well and asked her what she could tell me. Kathy is great and said tat it would be great if I could just go see the audiologist for the distrcit because she is great with kids and would probably be better with Easton--I had no idea if that is what God wanted--but I really did! But, I guess he did, because the next day, Kathy called back and said that my boss had given the go ahead to let Easton and I just make an appointment with Carol without a referral or anything! PRAISE THE LORD!!! So, we go tomorrow and should know something at the end of the testing. If there is nothing there--we can continue with the speech therapy--but I would hate to keep drilling him with these sounds if he just can't hear them! Easton is such an awesome kid--and I can't wait to see what God has in store for his life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment