Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Elle has a medical issue??

So this is a long overdue post--but that shouldnt be a surprise, because I typically post about 4 times a year to document everything that happens throughout the year!  :)  I have everything documented in multiple locations and then when I have a spare moment, I love to sit down and write it all out on here...so here goes. 


Last fall when Elle entered 2nd grade, she began having all kinds of tummy aches.  At first, we were concerned that could be for multiple different reasons:  I wasn't at her campus anymore (for the past two years that she has been there, I have had an office there and she knows that I will at some point be there-and this year, I do not), many of the friends she had been with for the past two years had been moved around and she "felt" as though she was all alone, the teacher she had was fantastic-but of course she wanted the ones that her friends had--(I had hand picked the teacher she had..so of course felt some guilt over the whole thing)...So--at first we felt it could be any number of these things.  But when the pain continued and she began really not eating and it would keep her from not playing with her friends when at home or at her Yaya and Poppi's house--we knew that it was really an issue.  She is not a large child anyway, so she doesn't have a lot of weight to lose!  I began asking lots of questions of the pediatrician and thankfully she listened!  We were referred to the fantastic GI doctor in Plano that Easton has seen for two years.  He immediately said that he felt like it was the same disease that Easton had!  Eosinophilic Esophogitis!  What??  She wasn't throwing up like Easton and it didn't look exactly like his symptoms did...but when Dr. An explained it to me--I guess it really did...So, we talked about watching it for a little while longer and continuing the current plan we were on for a few more weeks, but if that didn't work--that we should come back and do an endoscopy to be sure.  And that is exactly what we did--and he was RIGHT!  I think Jason and I were shocked!  And so was everyone at her school.  I mean, they didn't think she was lying, but honestly, they didn't think it was something awful like ulcers!!  As soon as we started the medication, she was a different kid and everyone was amazed.  Her teacher had been told by everyone that she was always happy and was helpful and had a willing spirit, etc..but all she had seen was crying and asking to go home...it was terrible.  Now, she was able to experience the child everyone was telling her about!  Elle told me later that she was thankful that we believed her--because Jason and I had left work so many times to come and get her when she called us...that just broke my heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment